“At Downes we have the experience, skills and equipment to handle any project, from design and planning to construction control.”
Santos GLNG Project
Downes Group is delivering essential environmental planning services to the emerging energy sector of Coal Seam Gas (CSG) infrastructure. The GLNG Project will source gas from Santos’ gas fields in the Surat Basin, Queensland, and transport it via a 420km underground Gas Transmission Pipeline (GTP) to a two-train liquefied natural gas (LNG) and export facility on Curtis Island, near Gladstone. GLNG is a joint venture between Santos and three of the world’s largest LNG companies, PETRONAS, Total and KOGAS.
Downes relationship with GLNG Operations Pty Ltd is based upon a trusted and proven advisory role, together with excellent execution of project management controls, delivering accurate outputs on time and within budget.
At each stage of the preparations for the pipeline alignment, Downes is responsible for ensuring the GTP complies with the stringent environmental framework of the State and Commonwealth petroleum activity controls.
Downes provides key environmental consultancy services and strategic advice to the Project in:
- Risk avoidance, mitigation and management
- Statuary identification
- Permit and approval submission
- Compliance management systems
- Supporting management plans; and
- Agency liaison and RFI management.
Downes’ experienced environmental team of planners, ecologists and project managers also provides systematic, scientific and technical support for the construction and operation of the GTP and ancillary sites including worker accommodation camps, temporary dams, and pipe and material stockpile areas.
Downes has consistently assisted the client, and its contractors, to satisfy complex approval conditions, and adherence to international ISO and Australian Standards, through the development of:
- Environmental Management Plans (EMP)
- Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001 Compliant)
- Notification, Complaints, Events and Corrective Action procedures
- Environmental Monitoring and Reporting System Management Plans
- Visual Amenity Management Plans
- Rehabilitation Management Plans
- Environmental Risk Registers
- Key Performance Indicators and Systems for monitoring contractor adherence to the environmental requirements of the Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) Contract.
It has also assisted the client with the development, submission and obtainment of:
- State Protected Plants and Type A Restricted Plants permits
- Material Change of Use (MCU) applications within relevant State Development Areas
- Petroleum and Gas Survey Licences
- Environmental Authorities for conducting petroleum activities.
On a daily basis, the team is collectively available to provide reactive verbal or written comment, advice or timely deliverables during “pressure pot” scenarios for the client. Downes continues to be a trusted advisor to Santos GLNG Operations Pty Ltd and is looking forward to seeing the project progress into operational phase.
“When planning began for the GTP, I immediately thought of Downes Senior Consultant, Peter Syson. I had worked with Peter before and knew his experience and professionalism would help with the complexities of planning our project. A natural gas pipeline stretching for about 450km means it will cross a variety of different environments and at each stage, compliance and work approvals are required.”
The Environmental Manager for GLNG Operations